Various leaked photos of next version of Windows operating system, commonly known as Windows 8, shows that Windows Taskbar has new feature in the form of user picture tile. User tile of Windows 8 is displaying a picture or avatar of the currently logged in user in the notification area of Windows Taskbar.
The user tile allows quick access by just clicking on the box to various functions such as Control Panel settings, personalization, switch user, log off and lock PC.
For Windows 7 or Windows Vista users who cannot wait to experience the next generation Windows 8, a developer named Angel of Despair (Stealth2010) at My Digital Life Forums has developed a small utility named Taskbar UserTile that able to add avatar or display picture of currently logged in user to Windows Taskbar’s notification area, just like User Tile of Windows 8.
In addition to ability to use system’s user picture, Taskbar UserTile allows user to manually set custom or own photo for display as the user tile via manual configuration in config.ini (by default a picture in Resources folder is shown), and it supports showing of dynamic or animated video as user picture via WMP (Windows Media Player) engine.
The UserTile app still has a limitation, where it only works when the Taskbar is placed at the bottom of the screen, though it now supports both standard and small-size Taskbar.
TaskBar UserTile has gone through several enhancement and bug fixes and its latest version can be downloaded from My Digital Life Forums.
Once downloaded the 7z ZIP package, extract and unpack the contents with 7-zip File Manager to a location where you want to keep the program files. Then just run UserTile.exe executable. Optionally, delete (to use system user picture) or edit config.ini to set your preferred user tile picture. Note that UserTile has to be re-run on each reboot. Thus, in order for the user tile to appear everytime system is restarted just like Windows 8, place a shortcut to UserTile.exe in “Startup” folder of Start Menu.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements
- Google Chrome 74 Released – Here the Changes and Download Links