Amazon.com, Inc. has announced its latest, free application for enjoying Kindle books on personal computers – Kindle for PC, which enables readers around the world to read Kindle books on their PCs, while taking advantage of impressive capabilities in the new Windows 7, including Jump Lists and Windows Touch technology.
“Kindle for PC is the perfect companion application for folks who own a Kindle or Kindle DX,” commented Ian Freed, Vice President for Amazon Kindle. “Kindle for PC is also a great way for people around the world to read the most popular books of today even if they don`t yet have a Kindle.”
Features and capabilities of Kindle for PC:
- Purchase, download as well as read hundreds of thousands of books available in Kindle Store (www.amazon.com/kindlestore)
- Access entire library of previously purchased/downloaded Kindle books stored on Amazon’s servers for free
- Select from more than 10 different font sizes and adjust words displayed per line
- Amazon`s Whispersync technology automatically saves and synchronizes bookmarks and last page read for added convenient
- View notes and highlights marked on Kindle and Kindle DX
- Turn pages with finger swipe (Windows 7 users only)
- Zoom in and out of text with a pinch of the fingers thanks to the Windows Touch technology (Windows 7)
“Customers have told us that they want access to a wider variety of content and an increasingly diverse set of form factors,” said Mike Nash, corporate vice president for Windows Platform Strategy at Microsoft. “With the announcement of Kindle for PC, Amazon is making its massive selection of Kindle books available on the world`s most widely used platform. The new Kindle for PC`s use of Windows 7 features such as Jump Lists and Windows Touch demonstrates how Windows 7 makes new things possible.”
Kindle for PC application that is compatible with Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows Vista is expected to be available as a free download by November 2009 from http://www.amazon.com/KindleforPC.