In modern advanced Windows operating system, renaming the name or label of the hard disk drive, partition or volume is an easy task, just like how user renames a file or folder. Normally when formatting a hard disk drive or partition volume, user can enter a label for the volume. And, for user who need to perform the renaming in command prompt DOS environment, the old good “label” utility comes to help.
Label, label.exe is a command-line utility to view or change the label or name of the computer disk drives that is available in most Microsoft MS-DOS and Windows operating system including Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and likely all future versions of Windows OSes.
To use label.exe to create, change, or delete the volume label of a disk, use the following syntax:
label c: myvolume
Above command will label the C: drive to “myvolume”. Note that the label command only work if the disk is not write protected.
User can also simply enter “label” command to view current label on the working drive, and when doing so, automatically get a prompt to enter new label if wanted to change the name of the partition.
Be careful when label a volume with ASCII or other extended characters, as ScanDisk in MS-DOS 6.0 or lower cannot recognize the characters, hence assume the label is corrupt or incorrent data, and will attempt to fix the label. If scandisk attempts to fix the harddisk’s label, it may remove all information and place it into a CHK file.
Besides, fdisk utility also cannot delete the partition with unrecognizable characters. However, user can always use label utility to rename and change the name of volume for deletion in fdisk to work.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18865 (20H1) for Insiders Skip Ahead
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18361 Released Fast ring Insiders – Here’s What’s New Improvements, Fixes, and Known Issues
- DVDFab Blu-ray Copy + Blu-ray Ripper Free Download With License Key Code
- Windows 10 Build 18351 For Insiders in Slow Ring for PC – Here What’s Fixes, Changes, Improvements, and Known Issues
- DriverMax Free Download With 1-year Genuine License Serial Key