TCP/IP, which Internet depending on, is a packet switching network that relies on routing to get data packets forward and transmit to the destination address. Routing, or routeing, is a process of selecting paths in the network along intermediate nodes such as routers, bridges, gateways, firewalls, switches, or hubs, which to send network traffic.
During routing, the selection of path is based on a routing metric, if there are more that one routes to the destination, such as in computers with multiple network cards. Path selection selects or predicts the best and optimized route metric wihch is computed by a routing algorithm which takes into account information such as bandwidth, network delay, hop count, path cost, load, MTU, reliability, and communication cost.
In Windows, metric calculation is automatically been done for each network interface or connection available. In the automatic metric calculation does not result in best network performance and routing cost, user can disable the automatic metric calculation feature and manually set a metric value.
How to Disable Automatic Metric Calculation Feature
- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections (In Windows Vista, go to Network and Sharing Center -> Manage network connections).
- Right click on Local Area Connection or other desired link such as wireless network connection or other renamed connection, and select Properties.
- Under the list box of This connection uses the following items box, select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click on Properties.
Note: Select IPv6 only if your network is using the new IP protocol.
- In the IP Protocol Properties dialog, click on Advanced button.
- There are a few tabs in Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog window: IP Settings, DNS, WINS and/or Options. Go to IP Settings tabl.
- Uncheck the Automatic metric checkbox located after IP addresses and default gateways sections to disable the automatic metric calculation feature.
- In the text box of Interface metric, enter a metric value between 1 and 9999.
- Click OK to close all dialog windows and save the changes.
- Display the routing table with route print command to confirm that the change has taken effect.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements
- Google Chrome 74 Released – Here the Changes and Download Links