The increase of the PDF format’s popularity has simultaneously increased the demand for the free Adobe Reader by the famous Adobe software. The high demand of Adobe Reader program has triggered attention from hackers. The chief research officer of the famous Finnish security expert F-Secure, Mikko Hypponen, has highlighted in the recent RSA Conference 2009 in San Francisco that Adobe Reader has replaced Microsoft Word to become the popular target attack by hackers. Mikko Hypponen has recommended that users should consider using other alternative programs instead to read and view PDF files.
According to Mikko Hypponen, of the targeted attacks so far this year, more than 47 percent of them exploit holes in Acrobat Reader while six vulnerabilities have been discovered that target the program. This is a critical figure indicating serious security problem in this program. Mikko Hypponen also added that in 2008, the favored targeted attack vector was Microsoft Word, which had 15 known vulnerabilities (compared to Acrobat Reader’s 19) and which represented 34.5 percent of the attacks (compared to 28.6 percent for Acrobat Reader).
Adobe Reader is amongst the popular and favorite tools used by many users which include businessmen, politicians and also many high-ranking individuals. The vulnerable security of the program will cause substantial damages if it is not managed and overcome immediately. Hackers might make use of the vulnerabilities and access high ranking individuals’ systems to steal important documents or spy on their PCs.
Users are advised to update their Adobe Reader from time to time to make sure important security updates have been installed to their version. Hypponen did not recommend a PDF reader, but said Acrobat Reader alternatives are listed on the PDFReaders.org Web site. Readers can refer to our earlier post highlighting on some alternatives to Adobe Reader which they can also consider.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements
- Google Chrome 74 Released – Here the Changes and Download Links