While online multi-player gaming and communication is fun and exciting, and has been the main reason why gamers and players are actually flock to Steam online game distribution platform, there may be cases where one has to play the game offline, with no Internet connection, and plays alone on a standalone computer.
For example, when Steam users are out on the road, traveling, or having network connection issue, Steam may not be able to connect to Steam cloud engine or servers, and the games installed via Steam client have to be played offline.
Steam normally requires Internet connection prior to starting a game, else an error message of “This game cannot be started in Offline Mode” will be displayed when users attempt to play offline, even though the game’s status is “100% – Ready” or “Ready to play”.
Steam does support Offline Mode. However, the Steam client application’s files must be updated to allow for the use of Offline Mode. Offline Mode allows users to play games through Steam without reconnecting to the Steam Network every time users wish to play, which is useful if users do not plan on playing over the internet and would prefer not to download new updates for single-player games.
For Steam users who having problem or facing error when trying to play offline, Steam Support offers some suggestions on how to enable Steam’s Offline Mode.
- Ensure that firewall settings does not prevent Steam from updating itself. To trouble network connectivity issue in Steam, visit here.
- Start Steam online – make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
- Verify that all game files are completely updated in Library or Games Library section. The games’ status should be listed as 100% – Ready or Ready to play.
- Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download, and the game can be played.
- Go to Steam -> Settings to ensure the Do not store account information on this computer option is not selected.
- From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline.
- Click OK to restart Steam in Offline Mode.