Users are advised by Microsoft to be more careful when opening suspicious PowerPoint documents in order to avoid becoming the target of hackers. Microsoft has lately admitted that hackers are exploiting a flaw which has yet been patched or fixed by the company to assault vulnerable systems. The flaw affects several Microsoft packages inclusive of Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2000, PowerPoint 2002 and PowerPoint 2003 for Windows and Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac. Other versions such as Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 and Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac are not affected.
Even though Microsoft claimed that it is aware only of limited and targeted attacks that attempt to exploit this vulnerability, security expert, McAfee, on the other has revealed that the company has discovered various attacks in the field exploiting the PowerPoint flaw to install Trojans into vulnerable systems. Hackers have crafted these exploits in an attempt to disguise malign actions. When users open the infected PowerPoint document (showfiles with .pps extension), the document will be opened in a full screen mode and hide the applications running on the desktop.
While Microsoft is swinging into action to investigate and fix the problem, users need to be more cautious especially when receiving files from unrecognized sources.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements
- Google Chrome 74 Released – Here the Changes and Download Links