When clicking on View Source at Internet Explorer, by default it will be opened with notepad. Notepad may not be a good viewer to see since it is just a plain text. If you would like to change the default editor from notepad to other text editor such as Front Page, here is a way for you to get it done easily.
There are 2 methods you can change the IE view source default viewer:
Method 1: Change the default viewer by using View Source Editor
1) Go to http://www.iconico.com/viewSourceEditor/ to download View Source Editor file.
2) No setup is required. Just run the exe file and it will pop up a window, displaying your current default viewer.
3) Change the default viewer by browsing to the new viewer location. You can launch this exe file at any time when you want to change the default viewer in future.
This software is compatible to run on windows 95/98/NT/2000/Me/XP.
Method 2: Change the registry key
1) Click Start -> Run, then type regedit.
2) Locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software -> Microsoft -> Internet Explorer.
3) Create a sub key named as View Source Editor under Internet Explorer.
4) Create a sub key, named as Editor Name under View Source Editor.
5) Change Default value of Editor Name to D:\Tools\Notepad2\abc.exe (abc is an example of viewer name).
Alternatively, you can create the registry key file and execute it to create the sub keys as mentioned above. Copy the text as below to notepad and save it as default_viewer.reg. Double click on the registry file to execute it:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name] @=”C:\\Program Files\\abc.exe”