I just managed to setup my 02 Xda Zinc 3G mobile phone as a modem to replace the 3G datacard that costs around USD300. By either utilizing Bluetooth pairing or USB synchronous cable between the mobile phone and laptop, I can access the Maxis 3G network and then browse the Internet Explorer contents on the laptop. Some of the steps mentioned below may vary based on different telcos and mobile phone models, but most of them are still applicable while setting it up as wireless modem.
Step 1: Turn on Bluetooth at Your Handphone
At your 3G enabled phone, go to Setting -> Menu -> Connections, then click on Bluetooth icon. Turn on Bluetooth, set phone’s visibility to “Show to all” and name “your phone’s name” at your preference.
Step 2: Setup Bluetooth Device at Your Laptop
- Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Bluetooth Devices. Click on Add.. and a pop-up Add Bluetooth Device Wizard would displayed.
- Tick “My device is set up and ready to be found” checkbox and click Next.
- The wizard now will auto search for any available Bluetooth device and display accordingly. Select the new device found and click Next.
- You will come to passkey setup screen, please choose “Let me choose my own passkey” and enter your desire passkey and click Next.
- You will see window is installing Bluetooth device. Once completed, you will be asking “Add to My devices?”, click Yes. Enter the same passkey that you have entered previously and press Ok. Please wait while laptop is installing the Bluetooth.
- Click Finish to complete the Add Bluetooth Device Wizard.
Step 3: Setup New Connection at Your Laptop.
- Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections, on the right panel click on Create a new connection.
- You will see a New Connection Wizard window display, click Next.
- There are few connection types display, please choose Connect to the Internet and click Next.
- At this screen, please choose Set up my connection manually and click Next.
- Please choose Connect using a dial-up modem and click Next.
- At the Device selection screen, choose Modem – Bluetooth DUN Modem (COM21), then click Next.
- Key in ISP name and click Next.
- Key in ISP’s phone number and click Next. In this case for Maxis, key in *99#.
- For Connection Availability, please tick Anyone’s use and click Next.
- Enter your user name, password and confirm password then click Next.
- You are now completing the new connection setup, tick “Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop” checkbox and click Finish to close the wizard window.
Congratulation! You can now using this new connection to connect to internet by using your mobile phone as a modem.