Windows 7 operating system supports multiple user accounts creation, which can be assigned as either administrator or standard user account type, in addition to a guest account. However, after a user account is created, it’s only possible to be deleted or removed, and administrator cannot disable or deactivate the user account from within the Control Panel user interface.
Administrator may need to temporarily or permanently disable or deactivate a user account, without deleting or removing the user account completely from the system. In order to disable or deactivate user account, follow the following guide. Disabling a user account allows the account to be re-enable or re-activate in future, without loss of data.
- Go to Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools, and then open Computer Management.
Alternatively, right click on Computer in Start menu, and select Manage.
- Expand Local Users and Groups branch.
- Click on Users section.
- Right click on the user to deactivate, and select Properties.
- Select and tick the check box for Account is disabled option.
- Click OK and close Computer Management window.
- The user account is now disabled, and no longer can be used to log on.
Tip: Uncheck the Account is disabled option to re-enable the user.
Alternative method is to use command line syntax of “net user”. To disable and make a user account inactive, open an elevated command prompt with administrator rights, and type the following command:
net user "user name" /active:no
Replace user name with the actual user name of the account to disable. Note that user name with space in between must be enclosed with quotation mark (“).
To reactivate the account to active status, just use the following command, as similar to enable the built-in super administrator account in Windows 7 and Vista:
net user "user name" /active:yes
More tips and tricks on using Windows 7 available.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- How To Download HBO Shows On iPhone, iPad Through Apple TV App
- Norton 360 Free Download With License Serial Key
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19025 (20H1) for PC Official Available for Insiders in Fast Ring – Here’s What’s News, Fixes, and Enhancement Changelog
- Kaspersky Total Security 2020 Free Download With License Serial Key
- Steganos Privacy Suite 19 Free Download With Genuine License Key