Want to make your own carbonated gas rocket? You’ve probably already seen someone make a Mentos Coke Geyser. Just drop a few Mentos into a bottle of Diet Coke and you’ll see a violent 16 foot fountain of Coke explode out of the bottle. Although that may sound somewhat exciting, the geyser is the boring “science teacher” version of this experiment. If you really want to unleash the carbon dioxide power in a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke, try making a Mentos Coke Rocket. Here’s how:
- Buy a 2 litter bottle of Diet Coke and a roll of Mentos. You can use any soda but room temperature Diet Coke for some reason is the best performer.
- Find a big open area to launch your Mentos Coke Rocket. Don’t do it indoors. Trust me.
- Slide the paper cover off the Mentos (leave the foil wrapper on) and slip the roll into the bottle.
- Quickly cap the bottle and shake it.
- Gently unscrew the cap, just a little, until you start to hear fizzing.
- Throw it down and cover your face!