At times you may be downloaded update packages for Windows operating system that ends with .cab file extension instead of usual .exe executable or .msi Windows installer file format. The .cab Cabinet file is a compressed archive that cannot be ran or executed directly.
Windows has built-in support to open and view .cab archive content, but not outright install the .cab even if it’s intended as an update package or hotfix. In order to install a manually downloaded .cab Cabinet file, use the following trick that makes use of pkgmgr.exe (Windows Package Manager) instead.
Open an elevated privileges command prompt as administrator, and run the following command to install and integrate the Cabinet archive:
pkgmgr /ip /m:<path><file name>.cab /quiet
start /wait pkgmgr /ip /m:<path><file name>.cab /quiet
Replace <path> with the path (location) to the .cab file, and <file name> with the actual file name of the .cab file, without parenthesis. If the Cabinet file is located on the current directory (same directory where command is ran, the path can be skipped.
Tip: If you intend to save an installation log, append the /l:<path><file name>.log to the end of the command. Again, replace <path><file name>.cab with the file name of log file to save to with its folder location (path).
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- PDF Conversa Free Download With Genuine License Key Code
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements