HTC Corporation and Sprint have announced the upcoming launch of its new powerful HTC EVO 4G (exclusively from Sprint), which the companies claim as the world’s first 3G/4G Android smartphone, combining enhanced mobile features with a suite of services built on Android 2.1 OS, aimed for a rich mobile Internet experience.
According to the release, Sprint 4G that currently available in 27 markets offers blazing-fast download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G speeds, making HTC EVO 4G possible to download music, pictures, files or videos in seconds.
“Sprint continues to lead the 4G revolution as we introduce HTC EVO 4G to give our customers an experience that is unlike anything available in wireless to date,” commented Dan Hesse, CEO of Sprint. “Not only is this feature-rich device incredible on our Sprint 3G network, but Sprint 4G speeds will take mobile multimedia, including live video streaming, gaming and picture downloads, to a whole new level.”
Features and Specifications of HTC EVO 4G (Sprint):
- Large, vibrant 4.3-inch WVGA (800×480 pixels) capacitive touchscreen with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
- 8 megapixel autofocus camera with dual LED flash and HD video recording, plus 1.3MP front-facing camera
- 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor ensures smooth, fast user experience
- Download and stream videos on the go at 3G or 4G data speeds
- Live video sharing via Qik
- Built-in mobile hotspot functionality supports up to 8 Wi-Fi enabled devices
- Custom HTML web browser optimized for Sprint 4G speeds
- Access to over 30,000 applications from Android Market
- Google mobile services including Google Search, Google Maps, Google Talk, Gmail, YouTube and syncs with Google Calendar
- Award-winning HTC Sense user experience includes Friend Stream that integrates Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
- Access to Google Goggles for searching with pictures instead of words
- Impressive voice-to-text technology lets users compose messages by just speaking
- Integrated kickstand for hands-free, easy media viewing
- Built-in GPS, digital compass, G-sensor, proximity sensor and light sensor
- Sprint apps including Sprint Navigation, Sprint TV and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
“Sprint and HTC have come together to propel the Android platform into the 4G world with the introduction of HTC EVO 4G,” said Andy Rubin, vice president of mobile platforms for Google. “The Android platform was developed to give people unmatched mobile connectivity to the Internet. By combining this vision with the promise of Sprint’s first-to-market 4G technology, HTC EVO 4G makes accessing thousands of applications from Android Market, using Google services like Google Goggles, Google Earth and the all-new Gesture Search, or simply browsing the Web faster, easier and more enjoyable than ever before.”
HTC EVO 4G which measures 4.8 x 2.6 x 0.5 inches and weights in at 6 ounces is scheduled to be available through Sprint, RadioShack, Best Buy and Walmart in Q2 2010, but no words on its price yet.
Update: HTC Evo 4G is slated to hit Sprint stores on June 4 for $199.99, after a $100 mail-in rebate and a new two-year contract.