Hulu, a popular commercial ad-supported video streaming service which all the while has been streamed video of TV shows and movies from NBC, Fox, ABC, and many other networks and studios to US audiences for free, is now launching a subscription-based service, called Hulu Plus.
Hulu Plus premium service is charged at $9.99 per month, and according to Hulu blog, is intended to serve as a incremental and complementary to existing Hulu.com service, which will not be replaced and will continue to exist and provide free content. With Hulu Plus subscription, subscribers can watch the full season of TV series with every episode of current season, instead of just a few trailing episodes. Subscribers also have access to partial or full back seasons or full runs of some of TV’s greatest shows.
The most important thing is that, with Hulu Plus subscription, users are allowed, and able to stream video contents from Hulu directly to Samsung Internet-connected TVs or Blu-ray players with Hulu Plus application from Samsung Apps Store, to iPad, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4 or third-generation iPod Touch with Hulu Plus app over 3G or Wi-Fi. More devices are expected to be supported in the near to distant future, with the support for PS3 (PlayStation 3) promised soon. Other devices that are going to support direct Hulu Plus streaming includes Xbox 360, Sony TVs or Blu-ray players, and VIZIO TVs or Blu-ray players. Supported devices are listed on hulu.com/plus/devices.
Features of Hulu Plus:
- Get a full season pass and watch every current season episode of top TV shows from ABC, Fox, and NBC like Family Guy, Modern Family, Glee, 30 Rock, Saturday Night Live, The Office, The Simpsons, Grey’s Anatomy, and many more. All episodes available all season long.
- Enjoy full series runs or back seasons of classic shows like The X-Files, Arrested Development, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Desperate Housewives, Roswell, Miami Vice, Angel, Saturday Night Live, Law and Order: SVU, Ally McBeal, Roswell, My So-Called Life, and many more. Thousands of episodes from hundreds of titles.
- Enjoy up to 720p HD resolution with multi-bitrate support for the optimal viewing experience for your screen resolution and network connection speed.
- Search and browse for shows and videos and manage your queue directly from your iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.
- Resume play from where you left off on other Hulu Plus devices including your computer and select mobile phones, internet-connected TVs, and Blu-ray players.
- Watch over WiFi and 3G (on your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and 3G iPads).
In Hulu Plus, all native HD video content will be streamed over Internet in 720p high definition quality. Despite been a subscription based product, viewers will still be watching advertisements, as Hulu Plus will still be ad-supported. As with current Hulu practice, Hulu Plus is also only available for people residing in USA, though there is trick to enable access to Hulu from outside USA.
Here’s the introductory video to Hulu Plus:
Hulu Plus requires an preview invite in order to sign up, despite it’s not free. The invitation can be requested from hulu.com/plus/invite, and you will stand a better chance if you follow Hulu on Twitter ( www.twitter.com/hulu) or like Hulu on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/hulu) if the response is overwhelming.
The Hulu Plus app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is now available for free download from Apple App Store. To watch Hulu on PC or Mac OS X system, just launch a web browser with Flash support.