Kinect motion sensor controller is a “controller-free” gaming controller which gamers to play the games with natural user interface such as body movement, gestures, spoken voice commands or presented objects and images. Originally known by the code name Project Natal, Kinect is designed for Xbox 360, and may be supported on PC computer via Windows 8. Kinect is a webcam-style add-on peripheral for Xbox 360 console, and it competes with Sony PlayStation Move and Nintendo Wii MotionPlus controller, albeit the usage pattern is completely different.
Features of Kinect:
- Kinect sensor is a horizonal bar connected to a small base with a motorized pivot, and can be positioned above or below the video display.
- Motion sensor that tracks entire body.
- Skeletal tracking creates a digital skeleton of player’s avatar based on depth data.
- Easily hook up with friends with Video Kinect, no headset required.
- Facial Recognition allows Kinect ID to remember who you are by collecting physical data that’s stored in their profile.
- Provides full-body 3D motion capture, facial recognition, and voice recognition capabilities with the RGB color camera, infrared depth sensor and multi-array 4 microphones built into Kinect.
- Based on range camera technology by Israeli developer PrimeSense, which interprets 3D scene information from a continuously-projected infrared pattern.
- Fully compatible with all Xbox 360 models.
Kinect was launched in North America on November 4, 2010, in Europe on November 10, 2010, in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore on November 18, 2010, and Japan on November 20, 2010. There are various purchase options available, either for just standalone sensor peripheral or bundle with console. All Kinect sensor includes a bundle with the game Kinect Adventures.
Kinect Pricing Details:
- Kinect (Standalone) with Kinect Adventures game: $149.99
- Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect and Kinect Adventures Game Bundle: $299.99
- Xbox 360 250GB Console with Kinect and Kinect Adventures Game Bundle: $399.99
All major retailers and online stores carry Kinect and Kinect Bundle.
Some video clips demoing Kinect in action:
The official launch television advertising campaign video.
Xbox LIVE with Kinect experience.
Kinect™ Adventures! in play.
Kinect for Xbox 360 – Montage
More video of Microsoft Kinect can be found at YouTube.com.
Specification of Microsoft Kinect:
- Colour and depth-sensing lenses
- Voice microphone array
- Tilt motor for sensor adjustment
- Fully compatible with existing Xbox 360 consoles
Field of View
- Horizontal field of view: 57 degrees
- Vertical field of view: 43 degrees
- Physical tilt range: ± 27 degrees
- Depth sensor range: 1.2m – 3.5m
- 320×240 16-bit depth @ 30 frames/sec
- 640×480 32-bit colour@ 30 frames/sec
- 16-bit audio @ 16 kHz
Skeletal Tracking System
- Tracks up to 6 people, including 2 active players
- Tracks 20 joints per active player
- Ability to map active players to LIVE Avatars
- LIVE party chat and in-game voice chat (requires Xbox LIVE Gold Membership)
- Echo cancellation system enhances voice input
- Speech recognition in multiple languages