Tedious installation and configuration processes might stop you from utilizing the internet to make phone calls from your computer to phones. Well, if that is the case, probably you should try Freeringer. Freeringer is a completely web-based flash application which allows users to make free internet calls from their computer to fixed line phones or cell phones in more than 30 countries worldwide.
FreeRinger is an ad-supported service. It generates its profit via advertisements. Hence, there are no additional costs charged to its registered users. No installation of software is required either. Users who want to make free international calls could just log on to the website and register as a user. As usual, users need to activate the registration by clicking on the link sent over to their email address. Once it is activated, users can start making international calls to over 30 countries, e.g. Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Canary Islands, Chile, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Finland, French, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
To make a phone call, firstly you need to enter the recipient’s phone number in the international format, e.g. country code followed by area code followed by local number, and guided with the following steps:
- Press Call button. If this phone number is not yet listed on your roster, a subscription process will be initiated and a new contact created.
- Upon success a new Talkster number will be allocated for your friend to reach you back on the web. A phone call will be placed to your friend’s phone number and you will hear a voice prompt informing you on call progress.
- Once connected, you will have 10 seconds to tell your friend to call you right back to their Talkster number, while you are staying on hold and waiting. Your friend will learn their Talkster number from: a) SMS message sent during subscription, b) CallerID displayed to them, c) you can tell them their Talkster number.
- After your friend calls you back, the system will connect you both again and you may talk as much as you want.
- Press Hangup button at any time to terminate your call.
- Click on a contact and press Call to initiate another call to the same number.
- Double-click on a contact to edit contact details or to view associated Talkster number
- Besides making calls, users can also receive calls from their friends when their friends dial the Talkster number allocated to them.
For first timers who use the service, FreeRinger also offers a so call “Echo Test Call” to assist users to test their audio system and network capabilities before they proceed further. First timers can just click on the “Echo Test Call” button and they will be guided through an echo test service to test their microphone, network connectivity, etc. Users can also hear their own voice as they speak through the microphone. This will help users to adjust the microphone setting as well as speaker volume for better vocal quality.
Enjoy this much cheaper way of calling your loved ones or friends with FreeRinger.
Note: Service no longer available.