Nowadays the hard disk storage capacity has increased tremendously. The increase in the current hard disk drives’ capacity allows users to store more and more resources, e.g. digital photos, movie clips, drawings etc. The digital data created from various digital devices such as cell phones, camcorders, digital cameras, media players, etc are substantially huge in size. To handle these files isalways a tedious and time consuming process. You need to store and manage them properly so that they can be retrieved as and when required. Other than that, you will not need to scratch your head and find a solution to copy and back up these valuable data.
To assist users to manage and handle their digital information better, Microsoft has brought to users a free application, Sync Toy, an easy to use graphical user interface that can automate synchronizing files and folders. SyncToy version 2.0 has just been unveiled by Microsoft. With this synchronizing tool, users can manage their files more easily and efficiently. In the event users keep their digital data in two locations; via SyncToy 2.0, users can manage multiple sets of folders at the same time. This tool can combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames and deletes in another. SyncToy can keep track of renames for files and will make sure those changes get carried over to the synchronized folder. Every process can be done with just a few mouse clicks.
There are a few new features added to this new Sync Toy 2.0:
• Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment: Drive letter reassignment will now be detected and updated in the folder pair definition.
• True Folder Sync: Folder creates, renames and deletes are now synchronized for all SyncToy actions.
• Exclusion Filtering Based on Name: File exclusion based on name with exact or fuzzy matching.
• Filtering Based on File Attributes: The ability to exclude files based on one or more file attributes (Read-Only, System, Hidden).
• Unattended Folder Pair Execution: Addresses issues related to running scheduled folder pairs while logged off.
• Folder Pairs With Shared Endpoints: Ability for folder pairs associated with the same or different instances of SyncToy to share end-points.
• Command line enhancements: Adds the ability to manage folder pairs via the command line interface.
• Re-Architect Sync Engine: The SyncToy engine has been rearchitected to provide scalability and the ability to add significant enhancements in future releases.
• Sync engine is also more robust insomuch that many single, file level errors are skipped without affecting the entire sync operation.
• Sync Encrypted Files: Sync of Encrypted files works when local folder and files are encrypted, which addresses the common scenario involving sync between local, encrypted laptop PC folder and remote, unencrypted desktop PC folder.
• 64-Bit Support: SyncToy now has a native 64-bit build (x64 only) for 64-bit versions of Windows.
• Folder pair rename
• Sub-folder Exclusion Enhancements: Descendents created under excluded sub-folders are automatically excluded. Usability improvements for the sub-folder exclusion dialog.
• Folder Pair Metadata Moved: Folder pair metadata removed from MyDocuments to resolve any issues with server-based folder pair re-direction setup.
• Setup Improvements: Integrates setup with single self-extracting archive file and no extra downloads if you already have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Enables silent install for the SyncToy Installer file (see readme.txt file for more information).
• Removes combine and subscribe actions.
Get a copy of Microsoft Sync Toy v2.0 via the link here.