When playback movie and audio multimedia files, a proper codec to decode the formats the media files are encoded in is important in order to play the files in Windows Media Player (WMP). The three main video file formats in the Internet downloading and digital camera age are, expectedly, DivX, XviD and MOV formats. Windows does not natively support these formats, until Windows 7.
Since Windows 7 Beta, Microsoft has added built-in native DivX and XviD support to playback movies and video files encoded in these formats. According to new changes in Windows 7 announcement, Microsoft has decided to add native support for .MOV files to Windows Media Player.
Improved playback support for video content from digital camcorders and cameras
Customers loved the increased range of formats natively supported by the Windows 7 Beta, but noticed areas where they wanted broader support. For example, one was unable to seek to a specific spot in the video in Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center for AVCHD content that was imported from a digital camcorder. We’ve addressed this. Also, while the support for video from some digital cameras worked great, we also got feedback about supporting a broader set of devices out of the box. We’ve since added support for Windows Media Player to natively support the .MOV files used to capture video for many common digital cameras.
Previously, in order to play a .MOV files, Apple QuickTime or codec packs such as Vista Codec Pack will has to be downloaded and installed, or an alternative media player such as VLC Media Player has to be used. This installs unnecessary things into the system, such as useless codecs and Apple Update.
In Windows 7, users will be able to be able to playback DivX, XviD and QuickTime .mov files without the need of downloading or installing additional software, and by just double clicking on the files.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 Build 18351 For Insiders in Slow Ring for PC – Here What’s Fixes, Changes, Improvements, and Known Issues
- DriverMax Free Download With 1-year Genuine License Serial Key
- Windows 10 Build 18342.8 For Insiders in Slow Ring for PC – Here What’s New, Fixed and Improvement, and Known Issues
- How To Download Videos in TikTok – Step-By-Step Guide
- Facebook Messenger Dark Mode – How To Enable Facebook Messenger Dark Mode