The well-known technology corporation, HP (Hewlett-Packard) has announced the availability of the world’s first consumer-oriented convertible notebook PC with multi-touch technology, named as HP TouchSmart tx2, which includes 12.1-inch diagonal WXGA (1280 x 800) BrightView (LED-backlit) swivel display, HP’s TouchSmart technology and HP MediaSmart software, combining ultra-powerful computing with Tablet PC capabilities and entertainment features in an attractive, sleek and light weight design.
“Breezing through websites and enjoying photos or video at the tap, whisk or flick of a finger is an entirely new way to enjoy digital content on a notebook PC,” said Ted Clark, senior vice president and general manager, Notebook Global Business Unit, Personal Systems Group, HP. “With the introduction of the TouchSmart tx2, HP is providing users an easier, more natural way to interact with their PCs, and furthering touch innovation.”
HP TouchSmart TX2’s capacitive multi-touch technology enabling specific set of gestures:
- SINGLE, DOUBLE TAP – Select objects by touching them once (single tap), or double tap to open objects/programs.
- FLICK – Scroll or pan within an application either horizontally or vertically. For example, in MediaSmart Photo, flick your finger to the left on the display and the inertia from your flick will move the photos leftward, just as if you pushed a piece of paper to the left on a table.
- PRESS & DRAG – Touch an object on the display and hold and drag it to the desired destination.
- ARC – Allows you to move tracks to/from playlists without having to make a straight line.
- PINCH – Touch an object on the display once to select the item then place 2 fingers on opposite corners of the object, then move them closer together to decrease the object’s size or to zoom out. Move fingers away from one another to enlarge the object or to zoom in.
- ROTATE – Rotate photos by touching the object once to select the item then use 2 fingers on opposite corners of the image and rotate the image either clockwise or counter-clockwise.
- LAUNCH MEDIASMART – Touch the screen with two fingers together and write the letter m on the display to launch the MediaSmart Smart Menu.
According to HP, “The convertible design with a twist hinge allows consumers to enjoy the TouchSmart in three modes: PC, display and tablet. With a rechargeable digital ink pen, users can turn the tx2 into a tablet PC to write, sketch, draw, take notes or graph right onto the screen – and then automatically convert handwriting into typed text.”
The new HP TouchSmart tx2 multi-touch Tablet PC that weights at less than 4.5 pounds is expected to be available later this month with a starting U.S. price of $1,149. Check more details and specifications of HP TouchSmart tx2 on its official site.