Nikon Europe introduces its new D-SLR, the D3X on 1 December 2008. The D3X offers an imaging sensor with far higher resolution that breaks new ground in imaging quality. It comes with all-new 24.5MP CMOS sensor that makes the new camera eminently suitable for the broadest range of shooting situations.
The camera supports a broad ISO range from ISO 100-1600, extendable down to ISO 50 and up to 6400 equivalent. It is able to make up to 5 fps continuous shooting at full resolution, or 7 fps in the 10MP DX-crop mode. The Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point autofocus system enables extremely accurate single-point accuracy with outstanding dynamic tracking for fast moving subjects in low light.
The D3x comes with LiveView function. The camera is made to deliver outstanding response rate, with a start-up of only 12 milliseconds and 40ms shutter lag. The Kevlar/carbon fibre composite shutter is designed for intensive professional needs and tested to 300,000 cycles.
The camera produces 50MB 14-bit NEF (Raw) files. With the Capture NX2 software, NEF files can be processed into medium format terrain, i.e. 140MB (16-bit TIFF-RGB). The photo fine details are reproduced with incredible clarity, whilst shadows and highlights contain tonal gradation with minimal clipping for pictures.
The D3X is designed to be ergonomics. The bright viewfinder features 100% coverage and comprehensive illuminated displays. Its high-definition, 3-inch, 920,000-dot VGA TFT monitor enables outstanding playback quality for on-the-spot image assessment.
The D3X’s body is made of magnesium, which is sealed for moisture and dust resistance. It also supports Nikon’s wireless system (the WT-4), HDMI output, offers a dual slot for CF cards and the new GP-1 GPS unit.
Summary of Nikon D3x features
- Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor with 24.5 megapixels
- Wide sensitivity range starting from ISO 100, up to ISO 6400
- New EXPEED digital image processing for superior image quality, faster processing speed and lower power consumption
- High-speed performance for the most rigorous professional demands
- Scene Recognition System recognizes shooting scenes using a 1,005-pixel RGB sensor
- AF system employing high-density 51-point AF
- Superior durability with Magnesium alloy for light weight and is sealed for dust and moisture.
- High-resolution 3-inch LCD monitor with 920kdots (VGA), 170° wide-viewing angle and reinforced glass
- Two Live View modes – Handheld mode and Tripod mode
- Picture Control System – Standard, Neutral, Vivid, and Monochrome
- Active D-Lighting — reproducing brightness as you see it
- Electronic virtual horizon with built in accelerator sensor
- UDMA-compatible memory card double slot for high-speed data transfer
- Support optional GPS Unit GP-1
- Lateral chromatic aberration reduction significantly reduce color aberrations
- Vignette Control effectively prevents reduction of light at the periphery
- Optical viewfinder achieves 100% frame coverage and 0.7x magnification in FX format
- Three sensing areas: FX format (36 x 24), DX format (24 x 16), and 5:4 (30 x 24)
- Customizable function button
- AF fine adjustment with outstanding accuracy
- Compliant with HDMITM for high-definition image playback
- Long life battery – shoot up to 4,400 frames on a single battery charge