When right click on a shortcut (.lnk) icon or file in Windows Vista, there suppose to be a menu item called “Open file location” on the right click context menu. However, sometimes, the “Open file location” command may go missing or simply not showing up when right clicking on shortcut in Windows Vista. The error happens on shortcuts that point to all files, folders, documents or executable.
The error happens because of missing registry value data for lnkfile registry key, which defines the behavior of all shortcut or .lnk files on the system. The registry value data in question, IsShortcut, can be accidentally deleted when user tries to hide and remove the arrow overlay icon on shortcuts.
To resolve the missing or lost “Open file location” entry, the IsShortcut registry value and the file associations for shortcuts has to be fixed.
- Run Registry Editor (regedit).
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Right click on the right pane, and select New -> String Value (REG_SZ) to create a new registry value.
- Name the new registry value as IsShortcut. No value data required.
- Restart the computer.
Alternatively, simply download and apply the .lnk file association fix as provided as part of the extensive fix to reset and patch broken file type and extension associations in Windows Vista.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Xiaomi AMAZFIT Cor IPS Smartband User Manual English Version
- Xiaomi Mijia Mini 4K 30fps Action Camera User Manual English Version
- Free Download 8 Awesome Software (Worth $350+) For Special Giveaway
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18234 Released to Insider in Fast ring for PC – Here’s What’s New Improvements, Fixes, and Known Issues
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17755 What’s New, Fixed and Known issues for PCs