When right click on a shortcut (.lnk) icon or file in Windows Vista, there suppose to be a menu item called “Open file location” on the right click context menu. However, sometimes, the “Open file location” command may go missing or simply not showing up when right clicking on shortcut in Windows Vista. The error happens on shortcuts that point to all files, folders, documents or executable.
The error happens because of missing registry value data for lnkfile registry key, which defines the behavior of all shortcut or .lnk files on the system. The registry value data in question, IsShortcut, can be accidentally deleted when user tries to hide and remove the arrow overlay icon on shortcuts.
To resolve the missing or lost “Open file location” entry, the IsShortcut registry value and the file associations for shortcuts has to be fixed.
- Run Registry Editor (regedit).
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- Right click on the right pane, and select New -> String Value (REG_SZ) to create a new registry value.
- Name the new registry value as IsShortcut. No value data required.
- Restart the computer.
Alternatively, simply download and apply the .lnk file association fix as provided as part of the extensive fix to reset and patch broken file type and extension associations in Windows Vista.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements
- Google Chrome 74 Released – Here the Changes and Download Links