After deleting a file, there is a possibility tech-savvy guys or hackers can recover the file’s contents if they can access to the computer. It happens, for instance, after you have left your company, the company transfers your old laptop or computer to another party. The new guy who are using your old computer can easily recover your deleted confidential or private files. This is because when a file is deleted, Windows is only removed the index for the file and prevents the operating system from accessing the file’s contents. Until and unless the file’s content being overwritten by another files (the chance is slim), otherwise, this deleted file is recoverable. Similarly, the encrypted file via Encrypting File System (EFS) is also recoverable because the file’s original unencrypted file data is still left in the disk even though a new encrypted version is created.
To ensure your confidential files are completely removed from your old computer, what you can do is try to use some secure delete applications such as File Deleter. These secure delete applications can securely remove the existing files without leaving any traceable track for recovery. However, most of these applications are chargeable. A cost is normally attached to these applications. If you are eyeing for a free tool to delete your file completely and unrecoverable from your XP or Vista, probably you can use this tiny tool, SDelete (Secure Delete) recommended by Windows Vista Resource Kit. SDelete is a command line application which allows users to delete the existing confidential files or any file data that exists in the unallocated portions of a disk; to overwrite deleted files on the hard drive and to cleanse the free space on a logical disk. Some of the practical SDelete’s command:
Usage: sdelete [-p passes] [-s] [-q]
sdelete [-p passes] [-z|-c] [drive letter]
-c: Zero free space (good for virtual disk optimization).
-p passes: Specifies number of overwrite passes.
-s: Recurse subdirectories.
-q: Don’t print errors (quiet).
-z: Cleanse free space.
Download link for SDelete.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements
- Google Chrome 74 Released – Here the Changes and Download Links