Microsoft Process Monitor is an advanced and useful monitoring tool for Windows Operating System. It runs well on Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1, Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1, and Windows Vista as well as x64 versions of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows Vista. This program was developed by Sysinternals, a software company which was acquired by Microsoft in 2006. This monitoring application allows users to check and monitor what your computer is doing behind the scene and thus assists in your system troubleshooting and hunting for malware activities. It shows the real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.
The latest Microsoft Process Monitor 2.0 has been released. This latest release combines the key features of two remarkable Sysinternals utitlities, Filemon & Regmon and has improved its stability and functionality tremendously. Various key enhancements include rich and non-destructive filtering, reliable process information, moveable columns for event properties, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, simultaneous logging to a file, etc.
The following is a summary of the key features of Microsoft Process Monitor 2.0:
• Monitoring of process and thread startup and exit, including exit status codes
• Monitoring of image (DLL and kernel-mode device driver) loads
• More data captured for operation input and output parameters
• Non-destructive filters allow you to set filters without losing data
• Capture of thread stacks for each operation make it possible in many cases to identify the root cause of an operation
• Reliable capture of process details, including image path, command line, user and session ID
• Configurable and moveable columns for any event property
• Filters can be set for any data field, including fields not configured as columns
• Advanced logging architecture scales to tens of millions of captured events and gigabytes of log data
• Process tree tool shows relationship of all processes referenced in a trace
• Native log format preserves all data for loading in a different Process Monitor instance
• Process tooltip for easy viewing of process image information
• Detail tooltip allows convenient access to formatted data that doesn’t fit in the column
• Cancellable search
• Boot time logging of all operations
Download Process Monitor 2.0 (1.2MB) here.