Computer security researchers have discovered a vulnerability in Adobe system Inc’s ubiquitous Acrobat Reader software that allows cyber intruders to attack PCs through rusted Web links. The flaw appears to target Microsoft Corp’s Internet Explorer 6.0 Web browser and earlier versions and Mozilla’s Firefox browser.
Virtually any Web site hosting Portable Document Format (PDF) files are vulnerable to attack, according to researchers from Symantec Corp and VeriSign Inc’s iDefense Intelligence.
The attacks could range from stealing cookies that track a user’s web browsing history to the creation of harmful worms, they said. The flaw exists in a plug-in that enables Acrobat users to view PDF files within Web browsers. By manipulating the Web links to those documents, hackers and online thieves are able to commandeer the Acrobat software and run malicious code when users attempt to open the files, according to Ken Dunham, director of the rapid response team at iDefense Intelligence.
Adobe System is seriously looking into this issue. Since the problem affects versions 7.0.8 and earlier of the Acrobat and Reader programs, Adobe is urging users of those versions to disable the Acrobat and Reader plug-in in their Web browser until the patches are issued. Adobe has also been encouraging customers to upgrade to Reader 8 , the latest version of its program, which is not affected by the vulnerability.
Adobe is also warning users to exercise caution when clicking on untrusted links, since those links could be manipulated to run an exploit. Security vendor Websense Inc. wrote on Thursday that an attacker could also gain access to files on a machine.
Exploits will apparently only work with certain combinations of Web browsers and Adobe software, but Adobe did not specify which combinations.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18312 for PC Released – Here What’s Full Details of Changes
- $1200+ Free Windows Software – SlideMaker Slideshow Video Editor, Video Movie Maker, Movie Maker & Video Editor, GIF Maker, Movie Maker & Video Editor & More
- Tipard iPhone Eraser Genuine License Key Code Giveaway and Free Download
- Any Data Recovery Free Download With Genuine License Key Code
- Bitdefender Total Security 2019 Free Download With Genuine License Series Key Code