After been released for several months as a beta software, Volume Activation Management Tool 2.0 code bits has been officially released by Microsoft in its final form. Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT) 2.0 is mainly a tool meant for administrators and IT professionals in corporates and companies to help customers automate and centrally manage a range of activities related to Windows and Office activation.
Volume Activation Management Tool 2.10 is a managed MMC (Management Console) plugin. With the VAMT version 2.0, support has been included for Office 2010, which now also requires volume licensing copies to be activated. VAMT 2.0 has the following features/benefits:
- Helps IT administrators centrally manage and automate a range of activities related to Windows activation using Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in for a consistent administration experience
- Enables management of product keys – whether obtained from the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) or from other sources such as retail, MSDN, MSPP — and product activations using those keys
- Provides disconnected activation and reactivation of systems without each system having to connect with Microsoft activation services individually
- Facilitates remote management of systems relating to activation/genuine using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) interface
- Assists with license compliance, letting IT administrators monitor system license state, including whether systems are licensed and running genuine Windows
In conjuction with the release of Volume Activation Management Tool 2.0, Microsoft has also released a white paper on how to manage activation using VAMT 2.0. Download the white paper, aptly named as Manage Activation Using VAMT 2.0 white paper.docx. In addition, there are more Volume Activation user guides available.