Metro has been one of the popular term which associated with Windows Phone and Windows 8 since introduction of Windows Phne and early development of Windows 8 to indicate the new user interface (UI) design and apps specifically built using WinRT (Windows Runtime) programming interface or WinPRT (Windows Phone Runtime) that run on the new environment.
In the case of Windows 8, the term Metro has often used to differentiate the traditional desktop environment for Windows operating system from the new touch-optimized user interface that is introduced in Windows 8, and is featured prominently through Start screen that replaced the classic Start button.
According to Tom Warren, the “Metro” is officially replaced by simply “Windows 8 Modern UI” to describe the new UI and apps system.
Accordingly, the phrases “Metro style app” or “Metro app” are replaced by “Windows 8 Modern UI style app” or simply “Windows 8 Modern UI app”; while other Metro references such as “Metro UI”, “Metro design” and “Metro style” been changed into “Windows 8 Modern UI”, “Windows 8 Modern UI design”, and “Windows 8 Modern UI style” respectively.
The change of name from Metro to Modern is mainly due to a trademark infringement with Metro Group, a diversified retailer based in Düsseldorf, Germany.
Microsoft has confirmed the depreciation of the Metro term, and claimed that the Metro term was always just a codename. Although Microsoft has used the Metro term extensively in the past, nonetheless, the recent blog posts, events description and other publishing by Microsoft have started to use Modern UI-style applications to refer to what previously known as Metro-style applications.
Windows 8 will go on sale on October 26th, 2012, but will released more than two months ahead on August 15th, 2012 to MSDN and TechNet subscribers.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build 18898 Released to the Fast Ring with Task Manager Improvements
- Dashlane Premium Free 1-Year Access With No Cost
- Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 Build 18362 (19H1)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18885 (20H1) Released to Windows Insiders in Fast Ring – Here What’s New, Fixes, Changes, Improvements
- Google Chrome 74 Released – Here the Changes and Download Links