Adobe ColdFusion is a commercial rapid application development platform which enables software application developers to rapidly build enterprise-ready rich Internet applications. Adobe ColdFusion includes an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) with ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML) full scripting language which syntx resembles HTML closely, but comparable to the scripting components of ASP, JSP, and PHP in purpose and features.
Adobe ColdFusion has been commonly used to create data-drive web sites or intranets, and can also be used to generate remove services such as SOAP web servers or Flash remoting. Adobe ColdFusion 9 is the latest version of Adobe ColdFusion, which introduces lots of new features. The top features of Adobe ColdFusion 9 include:
- Office file interoperability.
- Broader set of Ajax controls that leverage the new Ext JS 3.0 library via CFML tags and attributes, including mapping, multimedia player, multifile upload, accordion navigation, progress indicator, confirmations, alerts, buttons, and sliders.
- Adobe AIR local/remote database synchronization.
- Faster Flash Remoting to increase application performance.
- Leverage the power of ColdFusion enterprise services via AMF or SOAP without writing a single line of CFML.
- Instance-based licensing.
- Object-relational mapping.
- Adding images to PDF files directly within the CFPDF tag.
- Brand and protect files by easily adding watermarks, headers, and footers to PDF files.
- Simultaneously performing administrative tasks across multiple servers from one central console – Server Manager.
- User-based Administrator and RDS access.
- Server Monitor.
Adobe ColdFusion is an expensive piece of software, where Enterprise edition costs US$7,499 for new license or US$3,750 for upgrade license, and Standard edition costs US$1,299 for new purchase or US$649 for upgrading from previous version of Adobe ColdFusion.
To promote Adobe ColdFusion, Adobe is giving away free license of Adobe ColdFusion 9 for Education (and also future versions) to eligible people at academic or educational institutions, where students, faculty and staff of eligible education institutions are qualified. Adobe ColdFusion 9 for Education is meant to use for learning purposes only and not for production purposes.
Proof of eligibility is required to receive the free copy of Adobe ColdFusion 9 Enterprise Edition for Education, which can be one of the any following:
- student ID showing current enrollment, or
- faculty ID showing current employment, or
- non-faculty employee ID showing current employment, or
- a letter on an educational institution letterhead stating that you are either a current student, a current faculty member or a current non-faculty employee of the institution.
If you satisfy the requirement, just head to the registration site at https://freeriatools.adobe.com/coldfusion/ to register and receive the free serial number to activate the product. Customers can download trial version of Adobe ColdFusion 9 and use the serial key code to unlock and activate the full version ColdFusion.
Free Adobe Flex Builder 3 Pro for Education is also available.