Adobe Flex Builder 3, which to be renamed to Adobe Flash Builder 4 when new version is released in 2010, is an Eclipse based integrated development tool (IDE) enabling intelligent coding, interactive step-through debugging, and visual design of user interface layout, appearance, and behavior of rich Internet applications (RIAs) and cross-platform desktop applications (with the help of AIR), especially on Adobe Flex platform.
Features of Adobe Flex Builder 3 Professional include:
- Editors for MXML, ActionScript, and CSS with syntax coloring, statement completion, code collapse, interactive step-through debugging, and more.
- Rich visual layout.
- Integrated media.
- Integration with Adobe Creative Suite 3 with extensions for Adobe Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Fireworks.
- Memory and performance profilers help investigate memory use and analyze where applications are spending time.
- Automated functional testing support for regression testing.
- Interactive data visualization.
Adobe Flex Builder is licensed on a per-seat developer basis and is available starting from US$249, or upgrade license is available from US$99. Academic and education institution customers, including students, faculty and staff, however, can download and license Adobe Flex Builder 3 Professional for free.
Proof of identify is required during registration, where registrants can upload scanned copy of one of the following documents to prove that they’re currently attached to a institute or university.
- A valid student ID showing current enrollment
- A valid faculty ID showing current employment
- A valid employee ID showing current employment
- A letter on an educational institution letterhead stating that the individual is either a current student or a faculty member of the institution
For qualified people, head to the URL of https://freeriatools.adobe.com/flex/ to register for the free Adobe Flex Builder 3 Pro license.
Registration may take up to two weeks after the request to process, and for registrant to receive the serial numbers. The serial key code of Adobe Flex Builder 3 for Education can then be used to unlock and activate the downloaded trial versions of Adobe Flex Builder 3.
Free Adobe ColdFusion 9 Enterprise for Education is also available.