Skype has announced the latest version of its communication software which is Skype 2.8 beta for Mac. There have two main features for this new version, Skype Access and Screen Sharing. Skype Access is a worldwide, pay per minute WiFi hotspot access service provided by Boingo Wireless and enabled by Skype. Skype Access offers Skype users to connect to any of the more than 100,000 Boingo WiFi hotspots worldwide such as airports, hotels, cafes and metropolitan hot zones. The charges are base on pay-per-minute through Skype Credit. Users are not required to pay for connection fees or monthly charges but need to pay when use based on global rate of about $0.19 per minute.
Another new features is screen sharing which enabled users to show others something that they are working on or explain how to do something. It is similar to Skype video call that works by capturing, encrypting and transferring the content of the screen in real time to the person which sharing the screen. Once there, the content is decrypted and shown to the other person on their screen.
Others features of Skype 2.8 beta as below:
- Improved chat management: ability to sort chats in the drawer and set priorities to chats.
- Quick Add: much easier to add people to chats.
- Mood message chat: mood message updates from your friends as chat messages.
- Large avatars: 256×256 pixels.
- Hidden avatars in incoming contact requests.
- Ability to add your own notes to contacts.
Skype 2.8 for Mac can be downloaded from Skype starting 06 Feb 2009.
Update: Skype 5.0 Beta for Mac