Hitachi Data System, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi Ltd, is strengthening its position in the mid-range storage market by making significant performance enhancements to its Adaptable Modular Storage, model AMS1000.
By virtue of introducing new multi-processing technology to the AMS1000, the system provides a new price-to-performance ratio in mid-range storage systems.
The 20 percent performance boost to the AMS1000 adds to the existing business enabling capabilities of the system such as 32 logical cache partitions, non-disruptive and on-the-fly data movement across multiple tiers of storage, enterprise-class RAID 6 data protection, and a key industry first: multi-protocol support for iSCSI, network-attached storage (NAS) and fibre-channel storage area network (SAN) embedded in a single system. It also offers 4 Gigabit per second Fibre Channel SAN connectivity, enhancing the performance of applications such as video-on-demand and medical imaging.
Built from the group up to deliver better flexibility, the AMS1000 allows clients to mix and match multiple tiers of storage in a single rack (73GB, 146GB and 300GB Fibre Channel and 500GB SATA drives), and consolidate fibre channel SAN, NAS or iSCSI attached storage within a single rack with the ability to isolate resources for consistent quality of service, secure multi-level access and non-disruptive volume migration. For example, data volume can be migrated from economical Serial ATA drives to fibre channel from RAID5 to RAID6, empowering clients to adjust their storage infrastructure to their changing business needs or data requirements.
What are the business benefits using AMS 1000?
• Gain high-end performance and capacity, priced for the midrange
• Extend an existing SAN or deploy in a tiered architecture
• Consolidate storage, anticipate growth
• Meet compliance requirements, protect data, and reduce recovery times
• Features at-a-glance
• Scales from under 1TB to over 200TB SATA and Fibre Channel Intermix (raw capacity)
• Supports Plug-and-play SAN Kits compatible with Microsoft Simple SAN
• In-system snapshots, backup, remote site replication, and hot-swappable components to avoid downtime and data loss
• RAID-6 dual parity striping improves availability and ensures reliable RAID group rebuild
• Cache partitioning to optimize application performance
• Up to 1024 virtual ports with Host Storage Domains and 4096 LUNs for concurrent support of large heterogeneous open systems environments
• Choice of of 1Gb, 2Gb, or 4Gbit/sec host Fibre Channel connections
• Easy to use utilities for configuration and management
• Integrates seamlessly with Hitachi storage systems, managed with a single set of tools using HiCommand® Suite software
• Virtually all Hitachi software products run identically on Hitachi modular models as on Hitachi enterprise storage systems
• Supports Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and NAS
• “In place” upgradeable from AMS200 to AMS500 to AMS1000
• Hi-Track® “call home” service/remote maintenance tool
The AMS1000 is the basis of Hitachi’s channel-optimized midrange storage systems-the Hitachi Adaptable Modular Storage and Workgroup Modular Storage lines. Its midrange storage systems offer logical cache partitioning, virtual ports, and host storage domains within a single system. They complement the Network Storage Controller or Universal Storage Platform as tiered or archive storage, especially when configured with SATA drives for lower costs.