During initial setup of Windows XP Mode (XPM) after installing the free and fully licensed Windows XP virtual machine onto Windows 7 Virtual PC, user is required to set a password for default XPMUser account. By default, Windows XP Mode will save and remember user name and password login credentials for XPMUser so that Windows Virtual PC can log on to desktop directly when Integration Features is enabled.
However, some users decide to not assign or set any password for XPMUser user account, and remove the password for XPMUser by setting its password as blank or null.
The problem is that Windows Virtual PC may prompt user that the password is wrong or incorrect when trying to log onto Windows XP Mode, even though it’s correct and valid password been entered for XPMUser or any other user accounts created inside the XP Mode. With Integration Features enabled, Windows XP Mode does not accept log on from user account with blank or no password.
The problem is amplified by the fact that users may forget or not aware of password been created for XPMUser during initial configuration for XP Mode, hence unable or cannot login.
Here’s a few workarounds to resolve cannot log in to Windows XP Mode due to wrong or incorrect password, where some tricks involves resetting the password for user accounts in Windows XP Mode VM.
Method 1: Reset XPMUser Password by Reinstalling XPM
End user is asked to specify a password for XPMUser default user account during installation of Windows XP Mode. If user lost, forgotten or simply don’t know the password, or the entered password is always wrong, then uninstall and reinstall Windows XP Mode. The installation process will ask for new password again.
Method 2: Log On with Default Administrator Account
It’s possible to try accessing Windows XP Mode with the default administrator account named “Administrator”, which has been made to only display in Safe Mode. By default, there is no password for Administrator account, so it can be used to reset the password of the password of other accounts.
To do this, please perform the steps below:
- On Windows XP Mode window, click on Tools -> Disable the Integration Features.
- Restart the Windows XP Mode.
- When the Boot Menu appears at startup, press F8.
Note: Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode and press ENTER.
- Log into Windows by using the Administrator account and password.
Note: The password is blank by default unless you already set a password.
- After logging into Safe Mode, click Start, go to Run, type in nusrmgr.cpl and press ENTER.
- Choose the user you want to modify and Click Reset Password.
- Set a new password.
- Click Advanced tab, Click Advanced button.
- Click Users.
- Choose the user you want to modify in the right pane. Right it and Click Properties.
- Check and tick the box of Password never expires.
- Click OK.
- Quit the settings and restart Windows XP Mode to the normal mode.
- When log on to Windows XP Mode, remember to check the box Remember my credentials so that you no need to enter the password again.
Method 3: Logon without Integration Features
Windows XP Mode Integration Features requires an user account with password set to log on. Use the following following steps to set a password and then configure the virtual machine to remember the credentials and not to prompt for the password to open each programs.
- When Windows XP Mode requests a password, click Cancel. Integration Features should be disabled, else go to Tools -> Disable Integration Features.
Without Integration Feature, you are allowed to logon with an account which do not have a password.
- Type the user name and password (if any) to log on to XP Mode.
- To use Integration Features, it’s recommended to set a password for current user and use Windows Virtual PC ability to “remember my credentials” to avoid having to login manually.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Tipard iPhone Eraser Genuine License Key Code Giveaway and Free Download
- Any Data Recovery Free Download With Genuine License Key Code
- Bitdefender Total Security 2019 Free Download With Genuine License Series Key Code
- HyperCam 5 Home Edition Free Download With Genuine License Series Key Code
- Avira Password Manager Pro Free Download With Genuine License Key Code