Internet Explorer (IE8) has a feature that allows user to reopen last Browsing Session feature, which allows user to re-open all web browsing tabs that are still open when exiting IE. The Reopen Last Browsing Session in IE8 works similar with Firefox’s Show my windows and tabs from last time, albeit not automatically on IE launch.
User or administrator who doesn’t want to make use of Reopen Last Browsing Session functionality can disable and turn off the IE 8’s Reopen Last Browsing Session feature. When disabled, it’s impossible to use the Reopen Last Browsing Session option from the Tools menu. The link to Reopen Last Browsing Session will also not be displayed on new tab page titled “What you want to do next?”.
The ability to disable and turn off (or enable and turn on) Reopen Last Browsing Session is implemented through system policy GPO object, which set its setting in system registry. Thus, there are two ways to set the policy, via Group Policy Editor and directly edit the registry, which is useful for Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 7 less-premium editions that doesn’t come with Group Policy Editor.
How to Turn Off and Disable Reopen Last Browsing Session in IE8
Method 1: Using Group Policy Editor
- Run Local Group Policy Editor (Type GPEdit.msc in Start Search or Run command box).
- Navigate to the following tree branch:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer
- In the right “Local Computer Policy” pane, locate and set Turn off Reopen Last Browsing Session setting to Enabled.
- Exit Group Policy Editor.
- Restart Internet Explorer for the change to take effect.
Method 2: Using the Registry Editor
- Run Registry Editor (Type RegEdit.exe in Start Search or Run command).
- Navigate to the following registry key branch:
Note: If the registry key (i.e. Internet Explorer and/or Recovery) does not exist, create one manually by right clicking on parent branch, and choose New -> Key, and then name the key according.
- In the right pane, create a new DWORD value by right clicking on blank space and choose New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value, and then name it as NoReopenLastSession.
- Double-click on NoReopenLastSession and set its value data to 1.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart IE for the change to take effect.
Alternatively, just download the Disable-Reopen-Last-Session.reg to turn off ability to reopen last browsing session, or Enable-Reopen-Last-Session.reg to re-enable and turn on ability to reopen last browsing session.
By disabling ability to restore and reopen last browsing session, IE8 can be set to restore last browsing session only when IE crashes as part of automatic crash recovery feature.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18865 (20H1) for Insiders Skip Ahead
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18361 Released Fast ring Insiders – Here’s What’s New Improvements, Fixes, and Known Issues
- DVDFab Blu-ray Copy + Blu-ray Ripper Free Download With License Key Code
- Windows 10 Build 18351 For Insiders in Slow Ring for PC – Here What’s Fixes, Changes, Improvements, and Known Issues
- DriverMax Free Download With 1-year Genuine License Serial Key