Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) supports ability to reopen last browsing session feature that re-opens all last opened tabs when IE is closed and exited. In order to restore the last browsing session on next run of IE8, the IE browser stores the last browsing session history in .dat files in a sub-directory within the user profiles folder.
The last browsing session or last opened tabs history of IE8 is stored at the following location:
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\Last Active
Windows Vista and Windows 7 in Normal Privilege Mode
%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\Last Active
Windows Vista and Windows 7 in Elevated Administrator Privilege Mode
%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\High\Last Active
The main .dat file name look like the following:
Where GUID is Globally Unique Identifier which is different for each user and computer.
For each tabs and windows of IE opened, IE 8 will create as many different .data files for each of them in the following name format to store the details and data of the web pages:
Where GUID is Globally Unique Identifier which is vary for each browsing session.
Tip: The “Active” folder, the sister folder of “Last Active”, is used to frequently store current state of IE for automatic crash recovery.
With the knowledge of storage location for the last browsing session history, user can easily backup the last browsing session for future restore and use. It’s also possible to transfer the last browsing session data to another computer or user account to re-open these web pages in tabs. For user who values privacy and don’t want to leave any trace of browsing history, deleting and removing the tabs last opened history will ensure that nobody can re-open those tabs that still open when user’s leaving the browser.
Share This Post
- Able2Extract Professional 11 Review – A Powerful PDF Tool
- How to Install Windows 10 & Windows 8.1 with Local Account (Bypass Microsoft Account Sign In)
- How to Upgrade CentOS/Red Hat/Fedora Linux Kernel (cPanel WHM)
- How to Install Popcorn Time Movies & TV Shows Streaming App on iOS (iPhone & iPad) With No Jailbreak
- Stream & Watch Free Torrent Movies & TV Series on iOS with Movie Box (No Jailbreak)
- How To Download HBO Shows On iPhone, iPad Through Apple TV App
- Norton 360 Free Download With License Serial Key
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19025 (20H1) for PC Official Available for Insiders in Fast Ring – Here’s What’s News, Fixes, and Enhancement Changelog
- Kaspersky Total Security 2020 Free Download With License Serial Key
- Steganos Privacy Suite 19 Free Download With Genuine License Key