Apple has released a new version of iPhone OS software – the firmware that powers the first and second generation iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS plus iPod Touch on June 17th, 2009. The iPhone and iPod Touch firmware OS adds lots of new anticipated features such as MMS, Internet tethering (hack to enable Internet tethering), full Bluetooth support, landscape keyboard, turn-by-turn GPS navigation, cut-copy-paste functionality and more.
The iPhone OS 3.0 Software was first officially announced on Mac World Expo on March 17th, 2009. The new firmware version 3.0 allows user to take full advantage of the latest hardware in the iPhone 3GS, which releases on June 19. Anyway, the iPhone OS 3.0 Software is also available for free to iPhone 1st generation and 3G owners through iTunes, although some features may be disabled on iPhone 2G models, such as MMS and video recording capability. However, the 3.0 firmware for the iPod Touch will only available to consumer who wish to upgrade with the payment of $9.95.
After upgrading, the iPhone will have baseband 04.26.08. As usual, iPhone Dev Team has prepared Quickpwn & Pwnagetool for jailbreak and Ultrasn0w fro unlock which compatible with iPhone OS v3.0. Users should sync their devices with iTunes 8.2 or newer and check for updates in order to access the new version.
Summary List of New Features in iPhone OS 3.0 Update
- Sending and receiving MMS messages.
- Push notifications.
- Rotate iPhone to landscape to use a larger keyboard in Mail, Messages, Notes, and Safari.
- Cut, copy and paste function to quickly and easily cut, copy, and paste text from application to application.
- Universal search to search all of your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as everything in your iPod.
- Voice memos to capture a memo, a meeting, or any audio recording on the go. Voice Memos will work with the built-in iPhone microphone or with the mic on your headset.
- Improved Calendar (CalDAV).
- Faster performance, autofill user names and passwords, and more on iPhone browser Safari.
- Sharing your Internet connection with your laptop with Internet tethering via Bluetooth or USB.
- Easy to connect compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones, car kits, or other accessories, including support for peer to peer connection via Bluetooth.
- A2DP support.
- Automatic Wi-Fi login.
- Syncing all the notes you write on your iPhone back to your Mac or PC.
- Give iPhone a shake and it shuffles to a different song in your music library.
- Parental control.
- Support for 30 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts.
- Easily find your iPhone if you lose it and protect your privacy with Remote Wipe.
- Run the next generation of iPhone apps, like peer-to-peer games and more.
Users can easily upgrade iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch to iPhone OS firmware software 3.0. For user who want to download the software upgrade for safekeeping, here’s the direct download links to the ipsw firmware files. Learn how to upgrade and update iPhone to firmware OS 3.0 or use hack to upgrade iPod Touch to firmware OS software 3.0 for free.
Download iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update (Build 7A341)
iPhone 2G OS Firmware 3.0: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
iPhone 3G OS Firmware 3.0: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch OS Firmware 3.0: iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
iPod Touch 2G OS Firmware 3.0: iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
Update: iPod touch and iPhone OS 3.1