Ultrasn0w is a software-based unlocking tool to crack and unlock any version of the iPhone, including original 1st generation iPhone, iPhone 2G or iPhone 3Gs (3G S), which running on firmware software OS version 3.0 with baseband 04.26.08. Unlocking allows iPhone to be used to any mobile service provider or operator, instead of tying to particular mobile carrier, such as AT&T in USA and O2 in UK.
Previously, original and 3G iPhones are unlocked by using Yellowsn0w tool, which unlocks iPhone on firmware OS 2.2. Ultrasn0w effectively replaces Yellowsn0w as previous bug used to inject payload code in iPhone firmware 2.2 was closed by Apple in firmware OS 3.0. Ultrasn0w is born after any loophole to inject code for unlocking iPhone is found by an iPhone user accidentally. Ultrasn0w claims to work with any version of the iPhone, including the new iPhone 3G S, as of version 0.6, as shown in iPhone 3GS unlocking demo video.
In order to unlock iPhone 3G running on firmware 3.0, the iPhone with firmware OS 3.0 must first be jailbroken with Redsn0w in Windows or Mac OS X system, or PwnageTool in Mac OS X, which will also install Cydia/Icy, where Ultrasn0w is available in its repository exclusively. iPhone 3G(S) requires Purplera1n to jailbreak.
Guide to Install Ultrasn0w and Unlock iPhone 3G with OS 3.0 and 04.26.08 Baseband
- Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0.
- Jailbreak your iPhone 3G using redsn0w or PwnageTool (this will also install Cydia/Icy).
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS with Purplera1n.
- Run Cydia or Icy.
- Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
- Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w.
- Reboot your iPhone 3G or 3GS.
- T-Mobile USA users should disable 3G before using ultrasn0w. To disable 3G Mode in iPhone 3G, go to Settings -> General-> Network and turn off 3G Mode.
Here’s a demo video by iPhone Dev Team that unlocked an iPhone 3G with Ultrasnow prior to its release.